About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Fish Dilemma

I don't know about you, but I am concerned about the overfishing going on in the world. What am I supposed to do about it as an individual?  I want to eat more fish, but what fish are okay to eat?

Luckily, The Monterey Bay Aquarium has a great resource called Seafood Watch.  It includes pocket guides and regional lists which can be downloaded. 


They advise you on what fish are best to choose, which to avoid, and which are a good substitute.


And there is a free app for the iPhone, too!! 

When I am grocery shopping or at a restaurant looking over a menu, I will now be able to check the list on my phone.

For example, I received two coupons for fish along with my receipt when I picked up my prescription at Wegman's this week --- I guess they are promoting healthy eating at the pharmacy? --- Anyway, one was for frozen Mahi Mahi and the other for fresh Wild Caught Sockeye Salmon. 

I was able to check the Seafood Watch list on my phone easily --- under Salmon, it says that farm raised is a no-no, but wild caught is okay.  The app doesn't give background as to why, but you can always go to the main site for more information.  In this case, farmed salmon negatively impacts this oceans due to pollution and parasites being released from current farming practices.  It seems like farmed should be better than wild-caught because the demand for salmon is enormous, but it is the opposite, until the farming practices are improved.

Just wanted to share this resource ---- B