About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Brownies & Blogs

One of My Paintings

I am going off to paint today, but first I thought I post some blog suggestions sent in by readers, and an update on the Brownie Bake-Off.

Blogs of Interest

Jeanne says:
I think I’ve shared this one with you before.  Beyond Wonderful. I like this website for its diversity of dishes….I’ve done a few of the Indian recipes and they are very good! http://beyondwonderful.com/
Tanya Ott suggests:
Have you checked out Leites Culinaria? Also very good... http://leitesculinaria.com/
The Brownie Bake-Off

I will be resuming the brownie bake-off now that I am back.

The Cook's Illustrated recipe is next.

Ina Garten's (The Barefoot Contessa) recipe didn't fare so well, but I will be redoing it to give it a fair chance, per Colleen's feedback.

Colleen says:
Ok, you really have to make the brownies as the recipe directs. This is not a time to substitute!!!! And the person who brought them to me was adamant that overbaking was the kiss of death. It is an investment in terms of chocolate, but worth it - I cut the whole pan into quarters and freeze the sections. They keep really well. They are my emergency rations. I can't
tell you how many times we have had a brownie emergency here or a friend is in dire need. So be bold - buy the chocolate - get bittersweet and good quality, and prepare to be dazzled. You can trust Ina.
Also, I picked up a recipe for brownies, U.K. style when we were in London. It was in the London Sunday newspaper. Thought it would be fun to add to the bake-off.

Plus we still have Jesse's Disgustingly Rich Brownies to try!

And Tom is going to make "his" brownies, which are box brownies that he doctors up, and we'll see who wins.

Tasters get ready!

Brownie Scoreboard

Bon Appetit Brownies --  1st place
Miss Megan's Fudge Brownies with Frosting
Ina Garten/Barefoot Contessa  -- last place, but I didn't follow the recipe, so there will be a do-over.