About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tasty Tuesday


It's been great to have Feast Everyday recipes on-line, especially now that we have iPads and can use them in the kitchen, just as we would a cookbook, propped up against something.

Here are some of tasty recipes we've been making from the Feast Everyday archives. (click to go to the recipe if you see it underlined below.)

For St. Patrick's Day, Tom made New England Boiled Dinner and Irish Soda BreadWe liked it so much that he made it again for David when he came over on Sunday, using the leftover veggies and just boiling another corned beef.

One evening I dressed up a Rotisserie Chicken with Sauteed Sherry Mushrooms.  And Tom made Lundberg Wild Rice to go with it. 

The following Sunday, to use up the week's leftovers, I made a new twist on a Layered Leftovers Casserole by adding pancetta bits.  First,  I placed the leftover Lundberg rice on the bottom, then fresh spinach, pancetta bits (we keep these in the freezer--they come in packages in the cold cuts section of Wegmans), and shredded the leftover chicken. At the end, I poured over leftover chicken stock, about 1/2 cup, covered it and baked it in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes.  Tom loved it.  That's because I think it was a fancy version of his Graduate School Chicken.

A few days ago I made Colleen's Roasted Red Pepper Soup, easy and always tasty. This time I used carrots instead of celery.

Plus I have been on a kick to clean out my refrigerator and pantry. Must be Spring cleaning fever. What else is there to do this time of year, when you are itching to work in the year but can't yet.

I have made quite a few variations of muffins and put them in the freezer, mostly versions of the Buckwheat Date Nut Muffins recipe, which one of our favorites. One version was with all of the odds'n'ends of dried fruit in the pantry-- cranberries, dates, etc. Tasted a little like fruit cake, if you like that kind of thing.  Most recently,  I made the recipe with raisins instead of dates, and mayonnaise (!!) instead of sour cream and they came out tasting great.

Another experiment was Banana Toasted Coconut Muffins, using the Yellow Farmhouse basic muffin recipe, which I use frequently, like for Banana Peanut Butter Muffins . Just substitute toasted coconut for the peanut butter. Lin really liked these, because they are more coconut-y than banana-y.

We also had some wheatberries in the cupboard, along with the currants, and almonds in the freezer, so I made Wheatberries and Rice with Fragrant Spices.  If you have never made this dish, let me know and I will make it for you, it is SO good.  We had it with broiled lamb chops one night, and then Tom made Grilled Leg of Lamb because he had a portion in the freezer from a Guinness Lamb Stew he made last week from Cooking Light. 

Another awesome dish was Halibut with Greek Olives, Sundried Tomatoes and Capers. I wish I had taken photos of it.  Here's how I made it. We invested in a fillet of wild-caught halibut, which I pan-fried and topped it with the marinated ingredients, and finished baking it in the oven at 350 degrees until it was cooked completely through. The topping was basically a pint of sun-dried tomatoes from the window sill sliced in half, plus half a jar of Greek olives which I pitted (messy, but worth it!), and half a jar of capers, all of which I doused with good olive oil then marinated in the refrigerator for a week.

In addition to making all of these tasty dishes, I tossed out gobs of things that were too old:  Expired flax seed, pickles which I had inherited from my mother's pantry, an old can of almond paste, wasabi from 2009 (!), old jars of condiments.   Boy, did it feel good to get rid of the clutter!

That's it from the kitchen today.
B