About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Friday, November 10, 2017

Baked Apple with Salted Caramel Sauce

Individually wrapped apples in dough

We went apple-picking in October and like everyone else I know, we picked way too many.

So, when I saw the idea for wrapping apples in Lisa Caponigri's "Whatever Happened to Sunday Dinner?" cookbook, I thought, we'll that sounds interesting. Maybe I can use up a few more apples...

But when I got to the store, I couldn't remember if she had said phyllo dough or puff pastry.  I came home with puff and of course, that was wrong.

So, I googled the idea and found out there are oodles of recipes for apples wrapped in dough.  The oldest version being an apple dumpling, which uses pie crust, but  there are lots of recipes for apples wrapped in all kinds of doughs, including Pillsbury crescent rolls, as well as puff pastry.  Many are called apple bombs.

The one I ended up using is from a food blog called A Spicy Perspective.

Sommer's recipe incorporates a salted caramel in the middle of the apple, which we did not have, but we DID  have some store-bought sauce, so that became my theme.

Well, mine weren't pretty but they were indeed tasty.  You can see, if you click, how nice they should look if you go to Sommer's blog.  https://www.aspicyperspective.com/baked-apple-recipe/

Tom and David really liked them, so I will try again.  And not use so much puff pastry.  It seems ridiculous to me that each apple takes a half of sheet.

B