About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Friday, February 17, 2012

Reprise: Graduate School Chicken by Tom

In case you missed Tom's Graduate School Chicken recipe the first time around, I am re-posting his blog entry from November 10, 2009. 

Thanks for being guest blogger again, Tom. Love it when you cook for us! --B

Last Sunday, the kids and one of the grand kids came over for dinner, and we needed something easy and "kid friendly". When I was in graduate school I used to cook a simple chicken and rice recipe that my mother had given me because I had a finicky eater in the house I was living in, and he actually liked this! I had not made it in years, but thought it would be easy to do.

The ingredients are simple. Boneless chicken breasts and thighs. Brown rice, although any rice will work (except minute rice!!), chicken stock, and dried thyme. That's it!

I first covered the bottom of a 13"x9"x2" Pyrex baking dish with the brown rice (about 2 cups).


Next I arranged the chicken on top of the rice. I used 6 thighs and 2 breast.

Next I added ~4 cups of chicken broth (2 cups of broth for each cup of rice), and generously sprinkled on the dried thyme (about 1 tablespoon) to cover the chicken and some into the broth.


I preheated the oven to 375 degrees, covered the dish in aluminum foil, and baked in the 375 degree oven for 1 hour 15 minutes. My rule of thumb is whatever the packaged rice cook time is, add 30 minutes to the baking time to insure both the rice and chicken are completely cooked.

It is finished when all of the liquid is absorbed by the rice. The chicken comes out nice and tender, especially the thighs.

We served with steamed broccoli, and everyone enjoyed my simple chicken and rice recipe.

---Tom