About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Monday, March 22, 2010

Easy Meatballs (Good Housekeeping) from Colleen

Baked in the Oven
UPDATED 2020

Hi Barb --

I have to tell you that you have inspired me. Today it was pouring rain, so I decided to make spaghetti and meatballs. Now I didn't have milk and only ground beef, no ground pork. But it was too nasty to head out to the store.

But I thought, "would this stop Barbara?" and I decided it would not. I had cream, so I mixed 1/4 cup cream with 1/4 cup water to make 1/2 cup milk and just went with ground beef. And herb garlic bread crumbs. And it worked!

William loved them. I haven't made meatballs since I was a teenager. For some reason it seemed so complicated then (I think the browning part threw me off). I decided it was an adventure. I could cover them with lots of sauce if all else failed. I made my own sauce too, instead of opening a jar and "doctoring" it with wine, etc.

But it was fun and I thank you for providing the right attitude!

Here is the recipe I sent for meatballs. Basically, Good Housekeeping circa 1960, I think. It was my mother’s cookbook. But they were very tasty. And if people are going to cook with whatever happens to be in the pantry, Good Housekeeping will usually not take you too far afield from the basics.

  -----Colleen

Meatballs
(Good Housekeeping cookbook, c 1960)

Makes about 16-18 meatballs

1 pound ground beef
2 eggs
1 cup bread crumbs (garlic and herb)
½ cup grated Parmesan
½ cup milk or cream (split half water)
1 ½ teaspoon salt
pepper
garlic crushed
1 Tablespoon parsley chopped


Mix all together until blended.

Form into big balls (golf sized).
Roll in flour and brown in heavy skillet or pot in olive oil.
Heat oven to 300 degrees and put meatballs in oven for 20 minutes to cook through.
Add to sauce and simmer gently 20 minutes before serving.

Note from Barbara:  When I made these and took photos for the post, I didn't pay attention to the directions and put my spaghetti sauce (store bought) in for the entire 40 minutes, instead of only 20 minutes.  It made the sauce very thick, which we liked.  We added fresh basil to the sauce.  As you can see, this recipe is forgiving.