Thursday, September 9, 2010

Christine's Zucchini Frittata

Zucchini Frittata

About a month ago, my sister, Christine, sent in this zucchini ricipe which I have been wanting to try.  Yesterday was the day. I had to vary the ingredients to suit what I had on hand, but it is a very good, easy recipe. I like it because I can have it for dinner with a salad when I am on my own, and then have the leftovers for breakfast, too.  Tom had it this morning before he took off on his way to "work" and said he liked it. 

Hi Barb,

My zucchinis are starting to produce a lot so time to try new recipes! I have made a lot of breads, cakes and brownies but decided to try this frittata recipe. I have both yellow and green zucchinis and with the corn and sun dried tomatoes , it was yummy and different. Very healthy too!

From my Coastal New England Summertime Cooking Cookbook by Sherri Eldridge.
           ---Christine


Zucchini Frittata

1 teaspoon olive oil
3 cups sliced zucchini
2 tablespoons finely minced sun dried tomatoes
4 tablespoons finely chopped onions
1 cup corn kernels
6-7 egg whites(I used 6 whole eggs)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dill
2 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon paprika
(I would add a touch of salt)

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 8" x 11" glass or ceramic oven dish with non-stick spray.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine olive oil, zucchini, sun-dried tomatoes, onion and corn. Cover pan, and allow moisture from zucchini to lightly steam vegetables( about 10 minutes).

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs or egg whites, pepper, dill (and a pinch of salt). Stir in cooked vegetables and cheese. Pour into oven dish and sprinkle with paprika. Bake 15 minutes, or until eggs are set up.

Makes 4 servings.

Notes from Barbara:  I used an 8 x 8 square baking dish, and just put the veggies in the pan, layered on the cheese, and poured the egg mixture over and grated a little Parmesan on top.  I used oregano instead of dill, shallots instead of onions, and mozzarella instead of cheddar cheese. I was short one egg so I added a little water, which makes egg dishes fluffier anyway, but I still didn't have enough eggs to cover all of my veggies.  Mine took about 25 minutes to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment