About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Saturday, November 10, 2012

A is for Apple

A is for Apple
This week I have been painting still lifes of apples in my studio, so apples are on my mind. 

And so is Thanksgiving.  I have been starting to plan what we will make, including an apple pie.

So Many Choices

But I never can remember which apples are best for baking so I thought I'd do a little research and share it. 

Here's what I learned:  You want something that won't break down and turn to mush.  A mix of apples is best --a tart and sweet combo.

The biggest surprise I learned is that Red Delicious are unacceptable for baking.  Really?  Would the pie be that bad?  Some day I may try baking one, just  to see for myself. 

Left to Right:  Empire, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Cortland
 
So --- here's the mix I am considering:  Empire for its firmness, Golden Delicious for its sweetness, and Cortland or Granny Smith for their tartness.

FYI - I ran into a friend in the grocery store who was looking for Twenty Ounce apples for her pie.  Never heard of it, so I looked it up when I got home.   It is an heirloom variety with high ratings for pie.  So, if they show up in the store by Thanksgiving, I may try them, too.


Apples for Baking:

Golden Delicious
Empires
Cortland,
Granny Smith
Northern Spy
Rome
Twenty Ounce

Other options:
Gravenstein
Spartans
Fuji
Wolf River
Bramley
Fortune
Ginger Gold


My favorite eating apple:  Honey Crisp
 
Apples for Eating Raw (in hand or on salads):

Honey Crisp (my fav! and I hear it is our niece, Elizabeth's, too)
Mutsu(Crispin),
Gala
Macoun
Jonagold
Red Delicious
MacIntosh
Pink Lady
Jazz
Pippin
Braeburn,
Paula Red


Apples for Applesauce: 

Ida Red
Jonathan
Macoun 
MacIntosh
Winesap
Arkansas Black
Melrose


If you have experience which could improve this list, please be sure to let me know.  I used apple growers and baking websites, but I'd rather have your opinions on what's best.

B