About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Friday, March 22, 2013

Kale Smoothie Suggestion from Bridget

 
When I mentioned that other day that I was working with my doctor to "de-tox" my system, Bridget recommended her Kale Smoothie.  Says it will make you feel good, and is good for you. 

So, I faithfully bought all of the ingredients, and made my first smoothie.  Now, this smoothie is not for everyone.  It is more for those who believe in the power of wheat grass and can tolerate the taste of raw greens. 

It is was very filling and rather sharp tasting.  Almost too much for me to handle, but the day after I had the smoothie I felt great and had lots of energy! 

Kale Smoothie

2 servings

Fresh Kale -- Bridget uses prewashed, chopped in bags
Freshly grated ginger
Pineapple juice, and crushed pineapple
A small ripe banana
Flax Seeds (I found them in the bulk aisle)
Soy milk or water (I used coconut milk)

So here's what I did.  Add the flax seeds first, per Bridget's directions.  About a tablespoon or two.  Then, she said to fill the blender about half way up with kale.  Add a banana for sweetness.  Fresh ginger because it is good for you.  So, I grated some into the blender.  Pineapple juice -  uses canned, unsweetened. I got worried about the kale being bitter so I put in plenty of crushed pineapple, too.   And then she recommends soy milk or water.  I am not supposed to drink soy milk due to thyroid issues, so I chose coconut milk.  Whirl it all together.  I made mine extra smooth by choosing the Liquefy button on the blender, but you can leave it chunky if preferred.

The sooner you drink it the better.  Bottoms up!

B