About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Mochi

Daifuku Mochi
Had no idea what mochi would taste like  ---

I knew that they were a dessert/confection made of rice  --- and were going to be gelatinous, i.e., be careful not to choke on one ---but not much else.

Tom brought home some from Wegman's where they are available at the sushi counter.  The package said mochi, but I think these are daifuku, which means stuffed mochi.  

From the outside they are soft to the touch, and coated with cornstarch, sort of like a marshmallow.
Up close, they appeared to have been piped out into little balls.  The rice must be ground into a flour because mochi are ultra smooth.
Inside the first one, the pink one, was a cherry-flavored paste.  I presume it was bean paste.  Tom and and I both said --- hmm, not bad!

Still the mochi texture is hard to like.  Tom thinks it is like jello.  But I say that's too firm. Squishy and stretchy come to mind.  Mochi don't cut easily.
The second one, as I predicted, was green tea.  And quite good.  
The third one was chocolate with maybe some coffee.

And the last one was delicious citrus one -- maybe tangerine or orange.

I guess I should check with Wegman's to see if I guessed the flavors correctly.

And I am sure they are better if purchased in Japan and at a real dessert shop rather than at a grocery story here in the US.

They were fun to try.

B