About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Chef Dennis's "The Best Tiramisu You Will Every Make" from Colleen


"The Best Tiramisu You Will Ever Make"

Note from B:  Thank you, Colleen, for remembering Feast Everyday when you make something yummy like this recipe.  

This is from a website called Ask Chef Dennis.

https://www.askchefdennis.com/the-best-tiramisu-you-will-ever-make/

There is a LOT of exposition that I mostly ignored. I decided to go with this recipe as he cooked the eggs and I didn’t want to risk salmonella by using uncooked eggs although Ina Garten’s recipe does.

I’m not willing to live that dangerously with the tender tummies in these parts. So I cooked the egg yolks with the sugar for a full ten minutes and the sugar did not dissolve.

I was in despair, but quickly googled and others said not to worry. When I whipped in the marscapone cheese, magically the graininess disappeared.

Thank God as it was hot and I did not want to spend another 10-12 minutes stirring eggs non-stop at the hot stove.

The rest of the recipe was easy. I cooled the eggs and then whipped in the marscapone using the mixer. Then I cleaned the mixer whisks and whipped the cream and folded that in. It seemed a little loose, but it firmed up in the fridge.

I liked making it in the punch bowl as it is very pretty to serve that way. But I ended up using three layers of lady fingers and felt a little short on the cream. I would likely increase the egg yolks to 7, leave the sugar at the same level as it was plenty sweet, add in a full pound tub of marscapone and use 2 cups of whipping cream. An offset spatula/spreader makes it easy to level the cream between layers.

Before I put the first layer of lady fingers in the bowl, I put down a thin layer of cream to help anchor the cookies. I had to cut some lady fingers to fit the bowl, but that was easy. I just dipped them first and then used a sharp knife to cut them down to size. The bowl diameter increases from the base, so the next layers used more cookies. I ended up using all but about 3 of the lady fingers. I covered the bowl once I was done and didn’t sprinkle with cocoa until I served it.

I would definitely make this again as it is like a fun craft project once you get past cooking the eggs and you can make it a day ahead.

---Colleen