Saturday, February 28, 2009

Banana Bread Muffins

Good news. Yes, you can make muffins using a banana bread recipe. The trick is to not over bake them.

Banana bread is a home standard. But my banana bread often is overdone near the edges and underdone in the center. Muffins appeal to me because they are single portions and potentially more evenly cooked. I like to have muffins on hand in the freezer for us, for family, for guests.

Had a bunch of over-ripened bananas that were headed for the compost pile, so what had I got to lose?


Banana Nut Bread
adapted from New Tastes of Texas by Peg Hein
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar (I use light)
1/4 cup margarine (I use butter)
1/2 cup egg substitute (I use 2 eggs)
1/2 non-fat yogurt or buttermilk (definitely use the buttermilk)
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 t. soda
1/4 t. baking powder
2 cups flour less 2 T. (I use 2 cups PLUS 2 T.)
1/4 t. salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (I prefer pecans)


Mix the sugars, butter, eggs until creamy (and no lumps!). Add the buttermilk (be sure to shake the carton) and the mashed bananas (a potato masher works well). Mix well. Sift the dry ingredients (don't skip this step) together and add to the banana batter. Add the nuts and stir gently until mixed. Pour into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan or even portions in a muffin pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour (22-25 minutes for muffins), or until an inserted wooden toothpick comes out clean. Let cool if you can wait! In the second batch, I used blueberries instead of pecans for those who don't like nuts.

Found this recipe in a Texas cookbook which I bought at the Houston airport a long time ago. I was there to care for my older sister's family while she recuperated from surgery---Emily was in 6th grade back then and now she is 22 --so I have been using it for a quite a while --- it's a great recipe.

1 comment:

  1. The blueberries are reminding me of summer time at the lake...which is much nicer than thinking about the cold! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete