About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Mexican Quiche

Today I started out to make a mushroom-onion quiche, but realized that the cheese we had was a Mexican mix, so I switched gears.Preheated the oven to 450 degrees. Using a store-bought pie crust, I pre-baked the crust for 5 minutes, using my cranberry beans and foil, as I usually would for a quiche. Meanwhile, I sliced a large onion very thinly, and then cross-chopped it. Sauteed lightly with a pinch of sugar and salt.
Since I was going Mexican, I used the Penzey's 9000 chili mix -- has almost a sweet curry flavor, but it is still earthy and pungent. I sprinkled this over the onions.
Continue to saute until they were soft, but not too droopy. I wanted texture in the quiche.
Wasn't sure what to do next, but I decided to make a custardy mix with two eggs...
And a can of hot chili with beans that I found in the pantry.
I layered a little cheese and the onion mix in the pastry shell.
Then added the chili "custard".
I added another layer of cheese and onions.
Then, half a jar of well-drained jalapeno peppers.
Felt it needed a little crunch, but didn't have any Frito's. Instead, I found some crushed potato chips in the pantry left over from some crab cakes. They did the trick.
Then, just a little more Mexican cheese mix on top.
Baked it at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, then turned the oven down to 350 degrees and continued baking until it did not jiggle, about 20 minutes. I let it rest before slicing.