About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Monday, March 23, 2009

New Things Dinner

Last week when we got back from Pittsburgh, it was warm enough to grill for the first time this year. We were tired of restaurant food, and wanted to cook, but wanted it to be simple, too.

My game plan was grilled steak, sauteed mushrooms, roasted onions and a crisp salad.

I went to the store to buy Buffalo steaks, but saw that Wegman's had Grass Fed Beef for the first time...organic, too, and from Uruguay. Thought it would be interesting to compare them to my brother's Long Meadow Ranch grass fed steaks. And they were cheaper than the Buffalo steaks.

Plus I had a bag of Cipolline onions --- I had never cooked them before -- so I looked up how to prepare them. They are small-ish, not as small as pearl onions, but still a pain to peel.


My research suggested that you boil them in water briefly, then peel them.


It was easy to do, but they are very hot to handle when peeling.


I found an interesting recipe for the onions consisting of red wine, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, honey and olive oil.


Then, I got lazy and threw the mushrooms in with the onions and decided to roast them together. Bad idea.


What was perfect for the onions was too intense for the mushrooms which soaked it up like little sponges. I would have been much better off sauteeing the mushrooms as I usually do in olive oil, thyme and sherry.


I boiled down the juices leftover from roasting into a delicious syrupy sauce. Fantastic with the onions.


Meanwhile, Tom prepared the steaks for grilling. They were lean, but flavorful. I would buy them again. (No offense, Ted.)


For the salad, I bought Romaine -- it looked the best ---and thought I'd try the Caesar salad dressing that we had in the pantry. Bad idea. This stuff is supposed to be good because it is the original, but it was just awful.


But the Romaine was great. I can't wait until it is warm enough here to buy local lettuces.