About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Petite Pea Soup with Toasted Pine Nuts

For lunch yesterday, I wanted something warm and filling ---because it was rainy and cold here -- but also something Spring-like --- so I settled on making a pea soup from a bag of frozen petite peas. Start to finish this soup only takes 20 minutes. Easy, peasy.



Slice a large onion thinly.

Chop up the tenderest part of a stalk of celery. The whitest, smallest stalks and their leaves.


Saute them together until the onions begin to wilt.


I added just a pinch of sugar and a pinch of salt at this stage.


Petite peas are much sweeter than regular peas. I usually have a bag in the freezer.


I knew I needed to add a spice for interest, so I smelled my spices until I found one that seemed to fit the celery, pea and onion aroma coming from the pot. To my surprise, it was Zatar, the new spice I bought at Penzeys. So, now I am going to have research what it is---


Add a 1 1b. container of chicken stock ---or enough broth to just cover the peas---bring it quickly to a boil, cover it, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.


Cool slightly, then blend with a hand mixer or in a regular blender until smooth. Stir in 1/2 -2/3 cup of light cream or low-fat evaporated milk. Meanwhile, toast some pine nuts. Ladle the soup into a bowl and place 1 T. toasted pine nuts in each bowl. The nuts add interest, texture and some protein.


What is Zatar?
It's Middle Eastern in origin. Penzeys' version is hand-mixed from: sumac, thyme leaves, white sesame seeds and salt.