Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Couscous Chickpea Salad

Couscous Chickpea Salad with Lamb Chops and Snow Peas
For a refreshing change, I made a salad tonight that was light and bright-- a version of tabbouleh. It was a breeze to make.  Here's how:

First, make the couscous. It is so simple to make. Boil a cup of water, add a cup of couscous, pull it off the heat, cover it, and let it rest for 4 -5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.

Rinse and drain a can of chickpeas.  Lightly salt them.

Add bite-size tomatoes.  I used my windowsill-dried tomatoes.

Add cucumbers --- I used half of a seedless cucumber.

Add sliced scallions -- I used three -- and a feta cheese --- I used a goat's milk feta.  It was very salty so I didn't need to add much more salt after this point.

Add the couscous to the salad.

Now is when you add the brightness:  mint, parsley, and lemon zest.  Fresh is always better, but not always possible, so I used dried chervil, dried basil, garlic powder and lemon zest instead. 

Make a dressing from the juice of a lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper and a tablespoon of honey. 

Add it to your salad, and toss it all together.

We served it with grilled lamb chops and sauteed snow peas. 

2 comments:

  1. I made this last week. I used feta even though I don't like it very much because I didn't think that goat cheese would taste right with the Mediterranean flavors. I liked it, but I still don't like feta very much. Does goat cheese feta taste different than regular feta?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't think you like feta style cheese, regardless of the type of milk used to start-- it is firmer, saltier, brinier, and funkier than the creamy goat cheese I know you like. So, I would just leave the feta out of this recipe. Traditionally, tabbouleh doesn't have a cheese element anyway. I just put it in because I had some on hand, and because I think couscous can be boring, so I was looking to give my salad an extra kick.

    ReplyDelete