About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Black Bean Chicken Chorizo Soup


Black Bean Chicken Chorizo Soup

When I get back from traveling*, the first thing I want to do is make a soup.  And the second thing I want to do is bake something. 

So, today, I am doing both.  I have concocted a black bean soup using spicy, smoky chicken chorizo sausage  -- it is sort of riff on the black beans with sun-dried tomatoes I made on New Year's day -- and it is simmering on low, while I make the next round of brownies for the Brownie Bake-Off.  I am using a recipe Colleen sent in while I was gone, for fudgy brownies with frosting.

 *  I had a great visit to Oregon City to see my art buddy, AJP. 

This soup tastes a little like traditional tortilla soup, but it is almost a chili in texture. 

Black Bean Chicken Chorizo Soup

1 1b. black beans, soaked overnight and rinsed
1-2 large onions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped fine
1 cup sliced carrots, roughly chopped
2 -3 T. minced garlic
2 T. cumin
1/4 cup sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
2 -3 T. tomato paste
2 -3 bay leaves
1/4 - 1/2 cup jarred sun-dried tomatoes
12 ounces, or 4 links of chorizo sausage (I used chicken chorizo by Coleman), cut into bite-size pieces
1 large can (49 ounces) chicken broth, and an extra small can (15 ounces), if needed
salt and pepper to taste
Fritos for garnish
shredded cheese for garnish

Drain and rinse the beans that have soaked overnight.  Get out your other ingredients.

After I started, I decided to add these ingredients, too.

In a large soup pot, start with the chopped onions, and let them sweat in a little olive oil on medium heat, while you chop the peppers, and the carrots and keep adding them to the pot.  Add the garlic when all of the veggies have started to soften.

Add the cumin, tomato paste and vinegar.

Then slice the choizo -- it is already cooked -- this one is made with chicken and is flecked with spicy red chili peppers and smoky chipotle peppers -- in to bite size pieces.  Add to the pot.

Stir it all together.  Add 3 bay leaves.

Pour the drained black beans on top.

Stir it all together again.

Add the chicken broth and it will become a beautiful red orange.

Cover and let it simmer on low for 2 to 3 hours, or until the beans are soft, but not mushy.  Add more broth if needed. 

Remove bay leaves.  Serve in a bowl with Fritos and shredded cheese.  I used the taco cheese mix that Tom had leftover from making Frito Pie for Superbowl.

It is a perfect lunch for a cold, cold day like it is today.