Monday, August 29, 2011

Muffin Mania

Muffin Mania

What do you do while you wait for a tropical storm to wear itself out?

Make muffins!

That's what happened yesterday.  I was home alone with the cat.... and a carton of buttermilk.

A carton of buttermilk will make three batches of muffins ---  1 1/4 cups for each batch.

The basic muffin recipe I use is from the Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook.

Then I make different flavor combinations. You can use whatever inspires you.

Hmmm, so what were my options?

Overripe fruit works very well, because the flavors are intensified.
Peaches Go Well with Allspice and Brown Sugar

These peaches were a definite. Combined with allspice.  Extra brown sugar and nutmeg on top.

Bananas Go Well with Shredded Coconut and Coriander

The three spotted bananas were another obvious choice.  But I also had a little bit of coconut.  So, I went with banana, coconut, coriander.
Cinnamon and Raisins Are a Classic Combo
For the third, I thought a cinnamon-raisin-bread-style muffin would be good.  So, I went heavy on the cinnamon and used sweet golden raisins. Extra sugar and cinnamon on top.  If you like cinnamon raisin toast, then you will like these.

To make the muffins:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Grease a 12 muffin pan.

Melt 1 stick of butter in the microwave and let it cool.

In a large bowl, whisk two eggs and 1 t.  vanilla together.  Add the cooled butter and whisk well until smooth and very yellow.


In a separate bowl, add 3 cups of flour, 2 t. baking powder, 1/2 t. baking soda and 1/2 t. salt plus your choice of spice:
  •  Peach Muffins - 1/2 t. allspice
  • Cinnamon Raisin Muffins -- 2 T. of cinnamon (it's a lot but really works well)
  • Banana Coconut - 1/2 t. coriander
Whisk the dry ingredients together.

Add them to the wet ingredients, and then gently, mix until it looks about half combined.

Then add your fruit,
  • Peach Muffins -- 1 1/2 cups peeled, finely chopped very ripe peaches
  • Cinnamon Raisin Muffins -- 1 cup raisins
  • Banana Coconut -- 1 1/2 cups total of smashed bananas and shredded coconut
and  1/2 cup, plus 1 T. sugar
  • Peach Muffins - brown sugar
  • Cinnamon Raisin Muffins -- white
  • Banana Coconut  -- white
and 1 1/4 cup buttermilk.

And mix gently, just until combined and there aren't any pockets of dry ingredients in the mix.

Divide evenly into 12 portions, using a 1/3 cup measure.

Sprinkle extra sugar on top, and then a little of the spice.  Example.  Cinnamon on the Cinnamon Raisin Muffin.

Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool for a few minutes in the pan.

Then, remove to finish cooling on a rack.

Now I have lots of muffins in the freezer for guests, and to take with me when I stop in to see friends back in Corning who I haven't seen in a while. I have enjoyed being at the lake, but I am beginning to miss being at home in my old routine.

B

1 comment:

  1. They all look yummy, Barbara. I read somewhere recently that buttermilk can be divided and frozen. I've got to try that as I always seem to end up throwing away at least half the quart.

    ReplyDelete