About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Thursday, July 18, 2019

Sarah's Mud Cake from Gretchen

A Good Use of Leftover Coffee
I had fun making this cake.  Super easy to make.  It starts on the stove top then you mix in the rest of the ingredients with a hand mixer.

I was cleaning out the pantry--- where I found 4 ounces of bitter chocolate --- plus I had leftover coffee.  What can I make?  Then I remembered this recipe.

It's one of my sister-in-law's which I copied down a long time but never made.  When I asked Gretchen about it, she said it is a very good recipe, that it freezes well, and it came from a gal in Amherst who is a great cook.   
Disguised the imperfections on top by drizzling the dregs of a jar of Tom's hot fudge sundae topping over the top.  A spider-web of sorts.  Probably got ruined when I wrapped up the cake, but I had fun drizzling, nonetheless.  

I am going to freeze it and serve it to guests when they visit us later this summer.

---Barbara

Sarah's Mud Cake
(from Gretchen, who got it from a gal in Amherst)

2 cups extra strong coffee
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares*
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
pinch of cinnamon
2 eggs
Chocolate Sauce for drizzling (optional)

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

Prepare a 10 inch springform pan.  (I lined mine with parchment paper and buttered the sides.)

In a saucepan large enough to hold all of the ingredients, bring the coffee to a boil.

Add chocolate squares, and bring to a rolling boil.  Stir until it melts.

Off the heat, add the butter, and stir until it melts.

Add 2 cups of sugar and stir together until combined.
With a hand mixer, stir in the 2 cups of flour, 1 t. salt, 1 t. baking soda, and pinch of cinnamon.
(With a spatula scrape down the sides, and mix again to be sure it is all combined.)
Add 2 eggs, combine well.
(I whisked my eggs and tempered them with the chocolate before adding.)
Bake 1 hour 40 minutes (up to 2 hours) at 300 degrees.

Cool 10-15 minutes.

Take out of pan, and immediately cover.

Refrigerate.
Let sit in refrigerator a couple of days before serving.

---B

Notes:  Glad I used the parchment.  The cake slide easily off the springform pan base, once I loosened it.  I wrapped it in foil, then plastic.   Will let it sit in the fridge for a few days then put it in a plastic bag in the freezer.

*I used Sharffenberger bittersweet which is 70% cocao versus unsweetened which is 100% cocoa.  Also I used Starbuck's Pike Place drip coffee.