About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Friday, August 30, 2019

Special K Peanut Butter Cookies by Colleen

Hi Barbara ---

Well, everyone has vanished and gone back to college or work, leaving me with odd and ends in the fridge and the cupboards - some things I toss and some I gamely try to use up in blueberry muffins or whatever.

I found most of a box of Special K with Chocolate cereal that both William and Charlotte eat. I figured there has to be some cookie one can make with leftover cereal in the vein of rice krispie treats. 

So I wandered around the Internet and found a few options but I didn’t want to head to the store to buy extra ingredients, so I made SUBSTITUTIONS! (guess where I learned that?)

They are good - if you like chocolate and peanut butter you can’t go wrong and the bar part has a nice chewiness to it. Plus they have all 8 essential vitamins and minerals! They are SPECIAL ;-

I took these into school today and left them in the teacher’s lounge. By noon they were nearly all gone.

--Colleen

Special K Bars

Bars:
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light corn syrup**
1 1/2 cups peanut butter **
7 cups Special K with chocolate cereal*, crushed

Frosting:
1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup of peanut butter
1/4 cup of butter

Heat the sugar and corn syrup on medium heat until it comes to a boil. Mix in the peanut butter (you can use smooth or chunky). Put the cereal in a large bowl. I briefly considered trying to fish out all the little chocolate pieces, but decided that was too much trouble and just left them in. I should have crushed the cereal before I added the sugar/peanut butter mixture (but I didn’t - next time). The large flakes were a little tricky to work with. Once you’ve mixed it all together, press the mixture evenly into a greased (I sprayed it with Pam) 9x13 pan. Press down hard - you can use parchment or waxed paper if you want to press to keep the mess off your hands.

In a glass bowl, melt the chocolate chips and butter in the microwave and stir until smooth. Stir in the peanut butter and spread evenly over the bars. Once the topping firms up, cut into bars.

Some recipes call for peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips for the topping, but I didn’t have any on hand, so I just used peanut butter and it seemed to work fine.

*If you don’t have Special K with chocolate pieces, you can use any flake cereal. .

**Spray the measuring cup with Pam before you measure the corn syrup/peanut butter so they don’t stick to the measuring cup.