About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Monday, May 29, 2023

Cast Iron Skillet Potatoes

Don't let the bacon fat go to waste

I have always been interested in cooking with cast iron, but only started using it about 5 years ago when I collected cast iron pieces belonging to my mother-in-law and her mother, Boo.  

I purchased a 12-inch Lodge skillet because it has a handy handle for lifting.  Cast iron is heavy!  It has become my go-to skillet for browning chicken. Sometimes I use it for making bacon and eggs.

Before mopping up the bacon fat and disposing of it, I've started roasting potato halves to use with future meals and soups.  

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.   Place the potatoes face down and roast in the oven for about 45 minutes.  The pan might smoke because the fat will be hot so be sure to turn on the fan.  Take extra care when removing the skillet from the oven to avoid being splattered by the fat.  

Cooling them on a rack prevents the potatoes from being greasy.  They are golden brown on the outside and soft on the inside.  

I've rewarmed them as a side, but also cut them into wedges for a cold Nicoise-style salad.  I've put them in Indian curries and vegetable soup.  I think they would work well in a frittata or quiche, too.  

Store them in tightly sealed containers in the fridge.  

---Barbara