Salmon Couscous Salad (NYTimes) by Barbara
| Sadly, it was not an appetizing looking salad. |
I can't say I loved this recipe. But I am posting it because I still think it has potential. Because the flavors were good. I would rework it as separate components. The roasted fish was nice. Then I'd make a small arugula, carrot, cucumber, feta and herb salad with the dressing, lightly coated. Then, I'd do something different with the couscous or just skip it altogether. Net net, I would definitely not put it all together into one big wet salad. It does not hold up well overnight in the fridge.
It was quite dark when I started cooking so the nighttime photos with shadows aren't helping its looks either. Still, the flavors were quite good -- especially the turmeric, cumin, dill, lime treatment for the fish.
---Barbara
Salmon with Couscous
(adapted from NYTime recipe by Yasmin Fahr)
Serves 4 to 6
For the fish:
4-5 (6 ounce) skin-on salmon fillets, defrosted and patted dry
olive oil
salt and pepper
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. ground turmeric
a dill sprig for each fillet
2 limes: one slice in half and the other, zested and juiced
For the couscous:
1.5 cups pearl couscous
a tub of arugula, pre-washed, about 3 cups
1 cup Greek yoghurt
1/4 cup room temperature water
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
1/4 cup dill leaves, washed, roughly chopped
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
1 cup diced hot house cucumber, seeds removed
1 cup diced carrots, scraped
2 - 3 T. scallions, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Prep the veggies and herbs and zest the lime.
On a heavy sheet pan, place the salmon skin down.
Coat with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Then sprinkle with cumin and turmeric.
Add the lime halves to the pan, cut side down, after rubbing some of the olive oil on them.
Roast for about 15 to 18 minutes until opaque and light pink in the center.
Meanwhile, make the couscous:
In a small saucepan with a lid, first toast the couscous, uncovered, over medium-high heat, stirring until fragrant which will take about 3 to 4 minutes.
Add 3 cups of water, season with salt, per the directions for the couscous (I used Texmati) and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to a low simmer, cover and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes or according to the directions on the couscous.
Drain the couscous into a colander in a clean sink, then drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Stir in the arugula, letting it wilt.
Set aside.
Remove the fish from the oven and set aside to let it cool while you make the dressing.
For the dressing:
Whisk together yoghurt with 1/4 cup room temperature water. Add the lime zest and juice. Whisk again. Add 1/2 t. cumin and 1/4 cup feta and most of the herbs (saving some for garnish) and the cucumber and carrots. Stir to combine then season with salt to taste. Set aside.
Now bring it all together.
In a large serving bowl, add the couscous and arugula. Pour the yoghurt mixture over the top.
Remove the fish from the skins with a fish spatula --- it will flake into chunks if you use a fork. Put half of it in the serving bowl, and mix it into the couscous.
Place the remaining fish on top. Squeeze half of the roasted lime over the top. Sprinkle the remaining feta on top. Then sprinkle the chives on top. And the herbs you set aside for garnish.
Cut up the roasted lime into slivers to serve at the table. (I would skip this step in the future.)
B
For additional recipes like this, visit FeastEveryday.com