Cucumber Salad with Roasted Peanuts (Nik Sharma) by Barbara
I have given up on this cookbook by Nik Sharma. Life is too short to fuss with a poorly designed cookbook.
It went to the donation pile for the library sale this week.
I've had it since October 2023 and I get frustrated every time I try to use it.
The recipes aren't written out -- ingredients and instructions are notes which are jotted down --- and the type is impossible to follow.
I think he would have benefited from a better cookbook designer and editor because there are lots of good ideas and flavor profiles in the cookbook.
Many of the ingredients are hard to find around here but he does recommend substitutions where possible.
This is the one recipe from the book that I wanted to keep. It is so easy and unusual.
--- Barbara
Cucumber Salad with Roasted Peanuts
(adapted from Veg-Table by Nik Sharma)
Serves 4
For the salad:
2 English cucumber, quartered, seeded, slice crosswise
1/4 cup roasted peanuts, crushed
1 shallot, sliced very thinly
1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
a handful of washed cilantro, chopped
For the dressing:
2 T. malt vinegar
1 T. roasted sesame oil, room temperature
1 T. grated fresh ginger
salt and pepper to taste
Just before serving:
In a salad bowl, combine the cucumer, peanuts, shallot, pepper, and cilantro.
Combine the dressing ingredients.
Pour over the top of the salad and toss.
B