Burrata Tomato Salad with Pine Nuts by Barbara
First time buying burrata to go with our ripe garden cherry tomatoes. Although we've enjoyed burrata on the menus of restaurants for quite a few years now, I’ve never looked for it at the grocery store. There it was ----in a primo location in the cheese section---- obviously popular.
Burrata is a mozzarella cheese ball filled with a rich creamy interior of cream and shredded mozzarella. It comes in water in a plastic container. I bought the smaller 4 ounce version.
And a mini baguette. And a hydroponic basil plant.
Then when I got home I assembled it in to a large salad for the two of us to enjoy for dinner.
If you want to learn more about burrata, I found two good videos: one is from BelGioioso of Wisconsin who makes the cheese I bought and the other is from the Culinary Institute of America which shows it being made in Puglia, Italy where it originated.
It was more than enough for the two of us for a filling summer dinner.
---Barbara
Burrata with Cherry Tomatoes, Basil and Pine Nuts
1 quart ripe cherry tomatoes
1 small burrata (4 ounce)
1/4 cup basil leaves
2 T. pine nuts
Extra virgin olive oil
Aged balsamic vinegar
Salt
Baguette slices
Wash the tomatoes and make sure they are dry.
Quarter and salt the tomatoes well.
Chiffonade the basil.
On a nice platter, remove the burrata from its liquid and place it in the middle of the plate.
Surround it with the tomatoes.
Add the basil.
Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar.
Sprinkle with pine nuts.
Slice into it to release the creamy interior.
Add a spoon to the platter so that it is easier to scoop the tomatoes and cheese onto the baquette slices.
Yum!
B