Coconut Pound Cake (Gretchen's) by Barbara
Unforturnately, my cake stuck to the Bundt pan, even though I thought I had buttered it well. Nonetheless, I will definitely make it again and post a better photo. For the future, I also tracked down an original Bundt pan which is much heavier than the one I used. That may have been a factor for why it stuck. But most likely, it was because I did not let the cake cool before turning it out. Oh, well.
---Barbara
Coconut Pound Cake
(adapted from Gretchen Gaul, Tom's sister)
Makes one Bundt cake
2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup), very soft
3/4 c. Crisco
3 cups sugar
5 eggs, at room temperature
2 t. coconut flavoring
3 cups flour (all-purpose)
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
7 ounces sweetened coconut flakes (1 bag or 2 1/3 cups)
Cream together butter, Crisco, and sugar. Bake 1.5 hours at 325 degrees. Check at 1 hr. 20 mins.
That's all the recipe said.
Here's what I did:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and whisk together. Add the coconut and toss together until evenly distributed. Set aside.
Add one egg at a time, there are five! Then add the coconut flavoring.

Then stir the flour mixture into the batter gently.
Spoon into a well greased Bundt pan.
Smooth out the top.
Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes.
At 1 hour 20 minutes check for doneness. Mine wasn't done, so I baked it for the full 1 hr. 30 minutes. Looks great, doesn't it? Cool on a rack for 15 minutes. And here is where I went wrong.
I removed the cake when it was too hot.
I don't know how long to let the cake cool before turning it out. But when I figure it out, I will update the recipe.
I put it back together as best I could. I will definitely be making it again, whipping it less, greasing the pan better and letting it cool before I turn it out.
Gretchen also told me afterwards that she often makes it in a springform pan. I like that idea. Less risky.
B
For more great recipes and tips, check out FeastEveryday.com. We have over 1000 other step-by-step recipes in our index.