About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Monday, November 9, 2020

Crudités Mustard Lemon Zest Dipping Sauce

 
Individual Dipping "Boats"

I have been experimenting with how to serve guests during Covid.  At first, I made individual platters for each person for safe handling. Next I created a tray for each couple or "pod" to share.   Most recently, I am making a large platter, so each guest can take a dipping boat, then select what they want, versus me picking for them. I offer small side plates and little forks, too.  No cross contamination. 

I vary the tray with whatever we have on hand.  But the key item that brings it all together is the dipping sauce.  It is a simple mustard-mayo sauce.  I saw it in Ina Garten's new cookbook, but I added lemon zest to give it some brightness.  She was using it with keilbasa, but I think it works better with veggies.  And I use more mustard than she does, which makes it less cloying. 

Oh, and good salt is important for crudités.  I roll the tomatoes in sea salt, for example, and dust the carrots with smoked sea salt.

---Barbara

Mustard Lemon Zest Dipping Sauce

Serves 4

2 t. Dijon mustard
1 t. whole grain Dijon mustard
4 - 5 T. light Hellman's mayonnaise
zest of one lemon
salt and pepper

In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients until smooth.  Spoon into separate dipping bowls and serve.

Can be done ahead if refrigerated.

Also, a larger amount can be made and stored in the refrigerator for about a week.  Cover tightly.

B

P.S.  the tiny dipper dishes are Revol, made in France, capacity 1-2 Tablespoons.  My sister-in-law, Laddie, gave them to me years ago. I haven’t been able to find them online. Any small dish would work, or paper cups, like those used for ketchup.