About Feast Everyday

Based in Corning, New York and the beautiful Finger Lakes. Started in 2009 by Barbara Blumer with her family and friends. Her husband, Tom, now regularly contributes, too.

Over 900 Recipes and still growing

From muffins to curries with step-by-step photos and how-to tips: see recipe index https://feasteveryday.blogspot.com/p/recipes-index.html

Search This Food Blog

Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Our 15th Year of Feast Everyday! by Barbara

No Time to Spare

Fifteen years ago today I started Feast Everyday.  

Blogging was a brand new thing back then. It was long before Instagram and Facebook became a ubiquitous means of communication.   Now millions of recipes are available at our fingertips, as long as we have access to the Internet.  And millions of people provide a constant flow of content about their lives, what they are doing, what they are thinking... and what they are cooking.  

So why keep Feast Everyday going?  

Especially when the blogging platform it's on is obsolete.  Google discontinued supporting Blogger years ago. They even turned off the email feature, I think it was an effort to make us move elsewhere. 😏

The answer is simple.  We use it.  

Tom cooks from his "go-to" recipes all the time.

I like to be able to look up ingredients for a recipe while I am out shopping, once I see what looks good at the grocery store.  

Plus, I still enjoy creating and experimenting in the kitchen.  And this is where I like to share what I learn.

Nowadays Tom and I usually post things we want to remember.  So, that we can recreate the outcome we had.  

In addition, we update the history of recipes we've already posted as we use them.  

So, even though it's a royal pain in the neck...and time consuming to do, I keep Feast Everyday going year after year.

We now have almost 1000 posts of recipes and tips.  

Going forward, for the 15th anniversary, I've decided I am going to repost our oldies but goodies, mixed in with some old-fashioned blogging about food adventures.

Today, for the 15th, I made soft boiled eggs in honor of write Ursula K. Le Guin.  

I bought her book back in 2017 entitled "No Time to Spare, Thinking About What Matters."  It's a collection of her online writing.  She started a blog in 2010 and continued until her death in 2018 at age 88.  She is very witty, very opinionated, and writes on all manner of topics, including aging. 

One blog post in the book that has stuck with me is her July 2011 post called "Without Egg."

As only the great writer that she is can do, she describes her love of eating a soft-boiled egg in a way that is unforgettable.  I reread the Without Egg passages this morning. 

"You see what I mean about difficulty.  Eating an egg from the shell takes not only practice but resolution, even courage, possibly willingness to commit crime."  She then goes on to talk about how to properly whack the egg. Later, she concludes "The soft-boiled egg experience is the same every morning and never the same.  It remains endlessly interesting.  It is invariably delicious.  It delivers a small, solid dose of high-quality protein.  Who could ask for more?"--Ursula K. LeGuin

I made soft-boiled eggs.  It wasn't easy.  I made a mess.  But it was fun.

And that's what I think this blog, Feast Everday, is all about.

---Barbara

P.S.  Ursula K. Le Guin (1929-2018) is the author of 24 books of fiction and 11 books of poetry.  She is best known for her science fiction writing, a pioneer in the category, since the early 1960's.